How We Do Rest/Quiet Time


Rest/Quiet Time is an essential part of our home. Especially with young children, it gives them a specific time to wind down and just chill. It also gives me time to relax and possibly get some stuff done that's a bit harder to do with the kids awake (like Bible Devotions/journaling).

Quiet Time around here is pretty much the same every day, even with days that Violet is home from school. We usually have lunch around 11:30/12, and then the kids get some time to clean-up their toys while I clean up the kitchen. Around 12:30/1, I put Zach down for his nap first and then put Dominique in her room. She's almost to the age that she doesn't really require a nap, but there are days that I know she needs one. On the days that she doesn't want to nap, she has the option to play quietly in her room, but there is no TV/screens for her in there. If Violet is home (day off from school, weekends), she has her quiet time in the living room. She has the option to play her video games quietly, work on her LEGO builds, do some colouring, or if she is really tired, she has the option to nap in my bed.

I usually lay down for a bit (I'm still getting up a couple times during the night for Zach), and then I get to prepping supper, do a bit of knitting/time to myself before everyone wakes up and the afternoon begins.

It's really nice to have a quiet house for at least 2 hours every day, as it acts like a reset for everyone and usually cures some of the cranky attitudes that start around lunch time. At it's nice for me to have some quiet thinking time as well.

Comments