Thoughts on Date Nights



Selah (Mom's group) kicked my butt this morning. We were taking about getting joy through our relationships/marriage and the were told to plan a date night and discuss what excuses/barriers were in our way of having regular date nights. Right now a lot of it is the fact that Keith is exhausted when he gets home from work and when he goes to bed, he's sleeping in 5 minutes. And I'm tired as well because of getting up during the night with Dominique.

But then something else came to mind: the fact that I've been using breastfeeding as an excuse. Don't get me wrong, I love breastfeeding my baby, but I was also using it as an excuse as to not do anything. Can't go out because I'm nursing, can't go on a date because I'm nursing, etc.

Then it hit me. Would it have been that hard to get the baby onto a bottle or pump so that I could leave her with the babysitter and get some quality time with Keith?

The answer: no, it wouldn't have been that hard. 

And it probably would have saved my sanity a couple times as well.

Now that I've come to this conclusion, I know better. Yes I love being with my kids, but the joy in my marriage is much more important to make it last a lifetime. Besides, my marriage came before the kids. Why should I put it on the back-burner and let it go stale until the kids are older? No reason for that.

Thanks God for kicking my butt once again.

Comments