How My 2-year Old Shaved 10 Years Off My Life in 1 Week

Who knew that toddlers were really good at shaving 10 years off your life in 1 week, with 2 separate incidents?

Incident #1: Mother's Day, May 11, 2014
Around 9pm, Violet was having her night-snack while Keith was getting his stuff ready for work and I was re-settling Dominique for bed. I heard a crash come from the kitchen and Violet crying. So I quickly ran in there and found Violet laying on the floor. I picked her up and she cried a bit and then went completely limp in my arms. I don't think I've ever screamed her name that loudly. Keith was right there beside me and grabbed her from me. Luckily she came to, and Keith grabbed his wallet and keys to take her to the hospital to check her over (I had to stay home as Dom was sleeping).

While I was waiting for them to get back, I was just hoping and praying that she'd be OK. They got back in just over an hour and I heard the best sound all day, "Hi Mommy! Home!" From what Keith said, the doctor said that she'd be OK. Because she was getting alert really fast, he wasn't too worried about it.

We did opt to have her in bed with us for the night, just to be on the safe side. But between getting up to feed Dom twice, and Violet taking up half of a queen-size bed (how is that possible?!), neither me nor Keith got any good sleep.

When Violet got up the next morning around 9am, she was back to her usual self. Thank God she's OK.

Incident #2: May 17, 2014
Spent the morning at my Dad's place today and Violet spent majority of it outside with Papa while I was inside with Dom. After lunch, Violet went back out with Papa and I took a nap on the couch. After about an hour of sleeping, I heard Violet and Keith come in, with Violet crying that she got water in her eyes. I just thought that she fell down in the mud again and needed to be changed. How wrong was I.

Turns out that there's a small pond beside my Dad's house (the deepest part is about half-foot deep) and she was throwing rocks in there for the dog to retrieve for her. According to my Dad, Violet was doing fine where she was standing, but then she moved to a place where it was a bit more slippery. She ended up slipping and falling into the water and had her face submerged for 30 seconds. Luckily she had enough sense to put her hands down on the ground and push herself up.

When Keith brought her inside, she was covered in water/mud from head to toe and had mud ingrained in her hair. I was just relieved that she was OK. And also very glad that I had brought extra clothes for her. She got put in the tub right away and got a good scrubbing, hair included.

We told her afterwards that Mommy & Daddy had enough scares to last a small lifetime and to not do anymore to us right now.

Just very glad and thankful that she's OK.

Comments