A Very Sad Pregnancy Update

Let me start by saying Thank You for being patient with me while I figure out the new blog. I've been meaning to write, but I also need to get used to a new blogging platform and it's taken a little bit longer that I would have liked.

You might be wondering about the Blog Title, and why it sounds a bit depressing. The main reason, is that it is depressing news.

And that would be that I have suffered a miscarriage with this 3rd pregnancy.

For those of you who like short answers, I had an Anembryonic Gestation. Basically meaning that I was pregnant and the gestational sac showed up, but there was no embryo yolk inside, even after 3 weeks of Ultrasounds. I'm currently on some medication to help "clean me out," and after that, we'll go from there.

For those of you who like longer stories, this one takes place over a month.

On September 24, in my 8th week of pregnancy (while Keith was out of town on business, of course), I started bleeding in the evening, just before going to bed. I've never had any issues before with either pregnancy, so I freaked out a bit and called my Mom to come watch the girls so that I could rush to the ER. She was here within 10 minutes. Luckily both girls were sleeping, so I grabbed my stuff, a phone charger and ran out the door.

My sister Sam met me at the ER and started the waiting game with me. I swear the receptionist wasn't taking this seriously. I wasn't heavily bleeding, nor was I cramping, but I've never had this happen to me before, and was a bit concerned for this pregnancy. I got to the ER around 10:30pm, sent Sam home around midnight (she had to work the next morning), got called into a room at 1am, and only saw the doctor at 3am. WTF? I was pissed, but luckily (for me), one of my best friends was constantly messaging me to see how I was doing.

When I finally saw the doctor, she asked the usual questions, which had been asked 300 times before, did her exam, said that she didn't think it was anything to be worried about, unless I started heavily bleeding and cramping, did some blood work for pregnancy markers, mentioned that it was probably useless to order an Ultrasound and sent me home.

I was pissed.

The next morning (September 25), I went to the walk-in clinic (my doctor wasn't in), and she basically told me the same thing. Just wait it out.

Over the weekend, the bleeding continued, with some pain, but only if I was doing too much. If I sat down for a couple hours, it went away and didn't bother me. But nothing really changed. Except for lots of crying. And crying. And more crying. Part of me knew that I was losing this baby, but I didn't want to fully admit it until we knew for sure.

I went for more blood work to check my pregnancy levels Monday (September 28) morning and they called me later that afternoon, saying that my numbers were going down (they went from 10,000 down to 7,000) and that I was probably having a miscarriage and just stated that if I was in a lot of pain, to head to the ER.

Seriously people?

I called my doctor Tuesday (September 29) morning and got in with her in the afternoon. I had a lengthy talk with her about everything that was happening and she seemed quite concerned about it all. She said that it could be anything right now and didn't want to solely go on the blood work numbers. She scheduled me for an Ultrasound and said that she would be in contact with me.

I had an Ultrasound on Thursday (October 1), but they couldn't get definitive results because the images were cloudy because of the bleeding. So they scheduled another one for the following week. Sigh.

The bleeding stopped over the weekend (yeah!!), but nothing else changed.

I went in for Ultrasound #2 on a Friday (October 9) and this time they got clear results. They did find the gestational sac, but no embryo and I was only measuring at 6 weeks pregnant, instead of the 10 I'm supposed to be. Even my doctor thought it was weird because I'm usually spot on with my dates.

Went back for Ultrasound #3 on October 16 (Friday) to see if there was any progress. Because my appointment was in the afternoon, I had to wait until Monday to get the results.

My doctor called me Monday morning with the sobering news. It appears as though the gestational sac has not grown at all and that I probably had an Anembryonic Gestation. When I saw her on Wednesday, we discussed options and decided to put me on some medication to help "clean me out."

Once this is all taken care (and I don't say that lightly), we'll decide where to go from here.

Comments

Post a Comment